DATE OF LAST UPDATE: November 12, 2020
Our Commitment to Privacy
We respect the privacy of your information. We provide this explanation about our general and online information practices as a show of our commitment to protect your privacy.
The Information We Collect
We and our service providers collect the following customer information:
- Registration Information - information that you provide to us through our Website and through other means when you create an account, complete an application, make a payment, sign up for email alerts, enter a promotion or otherwise provide information to us or our service providers on our behalf. Examples include your name, age, physical address, zip code, phone number, email address, social security number, driver’s license information, government ID, etc.
- Transaction and Experience Information - information about your transactions with us, as well as information about our communications with you. Examples include your account history, your requests for information, and our responses. If you establish a credit account with us or our providers, we or our providers collect additional information, including billing information, bank account number, credit card number and expiration date, and tracking information from checks or money orders.
- Information from Outside Sources - information from outside sources regarding your credit, background and other relationships. Examples include your employment and salary history, and public record information.
- Activity Information - information gathered automatically about our Website and visitors, such as IP addresses, device ID, browsers, pages viewed, number of visitors, goods and services purchased, geolocation data (including, as associated with your IP address or device), etc. In gathering this information, we do not reference you by individual name, e-mail address, home address, or telephone number. We use this data in the aggregate to determine how much our customers use parts of our Website so we can improve our Website. We may provide this statistical information to third parties, but when we do so we do not include your name, email, home address or telephone number information without your permission.
The Way We Use Information
We use your customer information to provide you the goods and services that you request and to let you know of additional goods and services about which you might be interested. We also use this information to customize your experience using our Website.
We use your information to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, to statistically analyze Website usage, to improve our content and product offerings and to customize our Website's content, layout, and services. We may use your information to obtain further information about you, for example in performing background and credit checks, etc., should you ask to be qualified for transactions.
We may use your information to deliver information to you that, in some cases, is targeted to your interests, such as targeted banners, new services and promotions. We may ask you to provide us voluntarily with additional information regarding your personal or business interests, experience or requests, which we may use to customize our service for you.
We use your e-mail address, your mailing address, and phone number to contact you regarding administrative notices, new product offerings and communications relevant to your use of the Website.
We may also use or disclose information to resolve disputes, investigate problems, or enforce our Terms of Service. At times, we may review status or activity of multiple users to do so. We may disclose or access information whenever we believe in good faith that the law or regulation or a homeowner’s association so requires or if we otherwise consider it necessary to do so to maintain service and improve our products and services.
We use your IP address and other device identifiers to help diagnose problems with our server, to manage our Website and to enhance our Website based on the usage pattern data we receive.
How we Share Information
We may share the information we collect about you with third parties from one or more of the following categories:
- Credit Card Companies
- Credit Reporting Companies
- Rental Databases
- Government Agencies
- Homeowners Associations
- Property Purchasers
- Marketing Resources
We may share your information in connection with negotiations or fulfillment of any proposed or actual merger, sale, acquisition, business combination or other corporate reorganization.
Do Not Track Signals
Our Website does not currently act on DNT (Do Not Track) signals received and does not respond to such signals.
Third Party Access to Data
Your account information and profile are password-protected. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. Our personnel will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or in an unsolicited e-mail. Remember to sign out of your account and close your browser window when you have finished your session. This is to help ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place where others may have access to it. Whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online – for example on message boards, through e-mail or in chat areas – that information can be collected and used by others. No data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be perfectly secure. As a result, while we try to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law provides you with certain rights regarding your personal information as further set forth below:
Shine the light
You may request that we not share your personal information (as defined by California’s “Shine the Light” Law) with third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the future. To make such a request click here.
California Consumer Privacy Act
You may request information about our collection, use, disclosure and sale of your personal information (as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act) over the past 12 months or request that we delete your personal information. To make these requests click here or contact us at 1-844-865-7841. We will verify your identity using the information you provide to us with your request, and as part of this process, may request additional information or government identification.
You may designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. Agent requests may be subject to additional verification requirements, including, proof of authorization and proof of identity.
Please note that we are only required to respond to requests where we can reasonably verify your identity and to two requests per customer during each 12-month period. In addition, the rights set forth in this section are subject to certain exceptions under California law. If you exercise your rights under California privacy law, you will not receive discriminatory treatment from us.
The categories of personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act that we may collect from you are:
- identifiers such as real name, address, IP address, email address, online identifier, social security number and driver’s license number;
- categories of “Personal Information” described in California Civil Code Section 1798.80(e) including some of the identifiers previously listed, telephone number and financial information and account numbers;
- characteristics of protected classes such as marital status, race, gender, military status and age;
- commercial information such as products or services purchased and records of personal property;
- biometric information;
- internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, information regarding your interaction with the Website;
- geolocation data;
- audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory or similar information;
- professional or employment-related information;
- education information; and
- inferences reflecting your preferences and characteristics and other information about you derived from the other categories of information above.
California and Nevada Residents – Opt-Out of Sale of Personal Information
We have not sold, and do not sell, your personal information to third parties. In addition, California and Nevada residents may direct us not to sell your personal information in the future by clicking here.
Children Under 13
This site is intended to be used by users that can form enforceable contracts with us, generally at least 18 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. We do not accept registration by minors under the age of 13, and we will terminate the accounts of underage users. However, we have no way of distinguishing the age of individuals who access our Website, and we will honor the requests by any minor under the age of 13 to remove the information he or she posted as a registered user, unless the information is posted anonymously or by third parties or otherwise exempted by law. The parent or guardian of any registered user under the age of 13 may also contact us in writing and provide a contact email or phone number to remove the personally-identifiable information of the user and opt out of promotional opportunities.
Changes to Our Policy
By using our Website, you consent to the collection and use of this information in the manner we describe. Use of the Website is also subject to our Terms and Conditions, available at our Website. The Website is intended for consumers in the United States and is hosted and managed from the United States.
Your use of the Website is governed by United States law. If you access the Website from outside the United States, you consent to and understand that your personal information will be transferred to, processed and stored in the United States and that relevant laws may not be the same as those in your jurisdiction. In addition, in certain circumstances, courts and other law enforcement and regulatory agencies in the United States may be entitled to access your personal information.
For questions or concerns about our privacy practices please contact us at:
© 2022 American Homes 4 Rent
American Homes 4 Rent®, AH4R®, Let Yourself In®, AMH Development®, American Residential®, and 4Residents® are registered trademarks of American Homes 4 Rent. AMH℠, 4Rent℠, 4Communities℠ and Clean Safe and Functional℠ are service marks of American Homes 4 Rent.